2017 - The Year of Taking the Plunge

Tuesday, January 02, 2018



It’s been a rollercoaster year and certainly been an exciting 12 months! One of the major things that has happened this year has been taking the plunge into going full-time with my photography business. It’s been one of the most nerve-wracking decisions to have made but couldn’t have done it without the support and love from my partner, friends, family and of course all the wonderful clients I’ve had the pleasure of working with this year. Wow what a year it’s been! Not only to mention being full-time freelance but to have been crowned Young Freelancer of the Year 2017 by IPSE (The Association of Independent Professionals and the Self-Employed) at the glittering awards ceremony on National Freelancers Day in June. A huge thank you to everyone for making 2017 an epic one!
Best of 2017 - Wedding Highlights from Nisha Haq on Vimeo.

With over 100,000 images taken...

25,131 photos delivered to clients, 24 wonderful weddings documented, 16 engagement sessions photographed and lots of fabulous portrait sessions, commercial shoots & events covered, it’s been a busy and stimulating year capturing so many amazing moments!

Having looked over this past year 2017 has been a year full of ‘taking the plunge’ so I thought I’d dedicate this blog post to just that. It’s crazy to see how far I’ve come just 2 years ago from starting my business. A few personal highlights of mine have been:
  • January - Photographed my first ice-cream gelato commercial shoot and discovering the art of food photography. 
  • February - First engagement session of the year in the unique setting of The Spinnaker Tower - my highest engagement shoot to date at 110m high!
  • March - kicked off the wedding season with my first wedding in East Sussex for a Back to the Future themed wedding at Buxted Park Hotel. Also introduced my new range of bespoke luxury wedding albums which was super exciting! 
  • April - Took the plunge into exhibiting at my first English wedding fair at Houghton Lodge Gardens showcasing my work and selling to clients in person for the first time. Also first time photographing an Engagement Session in a rapeseed field which I’ve always wanted to do - love that vibrant yellow! 
  • May - My first New Forest wedding at The Bell Inn and what an fabulous day it was! One of my favourite confetti shots of the year photographed here. Also this month, first time photographing a family/engagement shoot which was fun, love to do more family shoots in the 2018. 
  • June - Being awarded UK IPSE Freelancer of the Year Aspire 2017 which was an extraordinary feeling and encouraged me to think bigger and take the plunge… 
  • July - TAKING THE PLUNGE! In the height of wedding season, I decided to go full-time with my business and leave full-time work with the opera company as a graphic designer behind. It was a tough transition and keeping up with the workload but the best decision to make to fully commit to all the weddings and fabulous clients. The start of a new chapter!
  • August - Visited Lake Como, Italy and my gosh was it beautiful!! Would love to shoot a wedding/ elopement there! 
  • September - My first magazine feature in Some Such Magazine. Amazing to see my photos published. Also found out I was shortlisted as a semi-finalist for the Hampshire Venus Women Awards
  • October - Photographed more weddings in Somerset & Dorset than Hampshire this month and getting to travel to new and breathtaking places such as Brympton House is magical.
  • November - First time winning a photo competition with a nature/landscape photo. Documented my first Hindu ceremony in Southampton. It was also the first time giving a talk about entrepreneurship & freelancing in London. Also my first time delivering albums to a client’s home and seeing their reaction opening their wedding album. It was wonderful! 
  • December - My first wedding magazine feature in Dorset, Wiltshire & Hampshire Bride magazine… (I’ll be sharing a blog post on this soon! ... ooh here it is!) 
  • PLUS... I've just found out that I've been shortlisted for the UK Wedding Awards for Best Wedding Photographer!! ARGHGHGH, the notification came over Christmas so it's a lovely New Year surprise to be shortlisted amongst some amazing photographers across the country. I'd never thought I'd be shortlisted for this in such a tough category but it's a wonderful feeling to be recognised by industry judges. It would be fantastic to have your vote please and help me along on this journey. You can cast it here:

This has also been my first full wedding season and I'm so thankful to my amazing clients and wonderful and unique people I've had the pleasure of getting to know this past year. I can't wait for more exciting things to come in 2018!

P.S I still have availability for 2018 weddings so do get in touch if you're looking to book your wedding day. :)

Happy New Year folks!


Thank you!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

* indicates required

Like on Facebook

Contact

If you'd like to discuss your wedding, portrait, engagement, family session, event or have any questions, please contact me. Thank you!

Web: nishahaqphotography.com

Email: hello@nishahaqphotography.com

Mob: 07712604577